Saturday, April 14, 2012

Maisie Dobbs

I am always looking for new authors and came across Maisie Dobbs Lesson in Secrets by Jacqueline Winspear at my local independent bookstore. There is an entire series set mostly in London before and after the first world war. It reminds me a bit of a grown up Nancy Drew. She is an independent young woman who zips around in a sporty convertible solving crimes. She has a kind father who is concerned about her, but her mother died when she was young. The time period and place plus additional characters such as her mentor, assistant, and benefactress make it different enough to be interesting while reminding me of books I have read in the past. I started reading Agatha Christie at 8 years old, but many modern mysteries are too violent and gory for me. This is evocative of an earlier time, not just in the setting, but also in the writing style.

I am just starting my fourth novel in the series and have purchased many more. The Mapping of Love and Death has been my favorite so far.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home